Oven Roasted Spicy Chickpeas
Don’t we all love fried food. I love almost anything fried and I firmly believe nothing can beat food that is cooking submerged in hot oil. That being said, all that is tasty is not healthy and health trumps everything. So we have to go around few things and find new methods to make food taste as good as it tastes when fried. If you want to walk up this road or already up here, this recipe could be a milestone.
Roasted chickpeas can be used to garnish any salads, burrito bowls, rice bowls, side dish for any main course you can name or just a snack to munch on with your cup of coffee or tea. Although it tastes much better when hot, it is easier to make a large batch and store in an air tight jar. All that is needed is a hand full of recipes that are already in your pantry.
- Chickpeas – 300grams
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1 tbsp, or as needed
- Salt – as needed
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in a bowl of water and cook it completely, preferable without salt.
- Darin as much as water you can. Best way to do it is to spread it in a piece of cotton or cheese cloth.
- Preheat your oven to 400F or 200C.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil, spread the chickpeas mixture and bake it in the preheated oven for about 40 to 5 minutes, mixing it every 10 minutes.
- Once the baking tray is out, transfer it to a bowl or the hot tray will continue cooking it to burn it.
- Enjoy immediately or store it for later.
- Cook the chickpeas in a pressure cooker to save time and energy.
- Second and the best option, also the one I prefer is to used canned low sodium chickpeas. I strain, wash and dry my chickpeas before using them.
- Feel free to alter the quantities of any ingredient to cater for your taste. Also increasing the amount of oil speeds up roasting process.